Friday, July 17, 2020

[marriage/in-laws] MY BOYFRIEND PROPOSED TO ME BUT I REJECTED HIM

I'm an office worker who's in my early 30's. Yesterday, my boyfriend proposed to me and I rejected him. I couldn't tell him why.
Of course, my boyfriend doesn't understand why I didn't want to marry him. I also wanted to tell him but I'm being careful.

Last winter, I met my boyfriend's parents for the first time. I've been dating him for 1 year and a half.
At that time, I had thoughts of marrying my boyfriend so thinking that his parents will become my in-laws, I wanted to look good for them and bought new clothes to meet them.

When we arrived at the Japanese restaurant and met them, the vibe wasn't bad at first. We were all laughing and talking but...

My boyfriend's dad wanted to drink lightly so we ordered a bottle of sake. We shared the bottle and drank a little bit.

We didn't drink a lot so I'm not sure if his dad was drunk but his face turned red and he started saying weird things. That day, I wore a dress with a button a the neck. It was a neat and tidy black dress.

My boyfriend's dad then put his hand over my neck and was like "if you're too covered, you're useless. Reveal a bit". I thought that I heard wrong so I just stayed still but then he said "are you like this with your boyfriend too? When girls are like this, they are no fun~"....

I was so taken aback and found it so weird. My boyfriend and his mom gave no reaction and my boyfriend was just laughing as if nothing happened and said "eyy~ she isn't like this with me~ our XX-ie is oh-so refreshing~". He really looked like a weird person when he answered like that.

Afterwards, the other things the dad said that caught my attention were.. "look at your girlfriend's behaviour, she must be someone different on the other side, I'm not worried"
And "I'm not saying this because he's my son but he's so popular/doing well, there are a lot of people who have an eye on him, you should be careful"

I've never had a big fight with my boyfriend, I don't have any big issues with him and I don't have any excuse to break up with him. It's just because of what his parents said.

I didn't say anything to him and just kept on dating him... but after that incident, my boyfriend has asked me to go meet his parents again a few times, and that he wanted to meet my parents but every time, I said that I was busy, that it made me uncomfortable or some other excuses to avoid it.

We dated a few more months and he proposed to me yesterday. I can't delay our break up anymore right?

Also, my personality is a bit introverted so I'm worried about how I'm gonna say things as they are to my boyfriend. It doesn't look like my boyfriend thinks that what his dad said was problematic at all so I'm not sure if he'll understand me.

I'm curious to see if anyone else here isn't seeing what the dad said as problematic. Maybe I'm just too sensitive?..

post response:
[+1,228][-75]
original post: here

1. [+803, -60]
What's funny is that you've been dating him for 6 more months if that incident happened last winter. Is not having a reason to break up a reason not to break up? OP also looks like a weird person. If you're weirded out by the dad's words and doesn't think about marrying him, why do you keep on dating him?

2. [+394, -4]
No but why are his family's way of speaking so low?ㅡㅡ Where did they learn that from? Make up your mind. If it's hard for you to speak up, then write down a letter and give it to him... your boyfriend is problematic but how are you gonna live with an in-law like that?ㅡㅡ creepy

3. [+305, -5]
(Commenter is a man) find strength, you shouldn't become family with such vulgar people

4. [+182, -2]
Is this for real..? You got sexually harassed by his dad and his mom and son just remained spectators and you still dated him for another 6 months? You're in your 30's and this has nothing to do with you being introverted. Are you lacking sanity..?

5. [+133, -2]
I find it weirder that you're still with him after being treated like that

0 comments:

Post a Comment

This Blog is protected by DMCA.com